Friday, January 4, 2013

On top of the world

It was the first time for me - to have a meal at the famous "St Bernard's Hotel" on Mt Tamborine. This was only the second time I have visited the place, the time before only for a quick look. This time I was able to explore the building and the surrounds, some of which I will share in pictures. The hotel has lots of atmosphere and is understandably very popular both for casual drinks as well as for meals. The staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome and by the time you leave you feel as if they are personal friends!
There has been a tradition to own a St Bernard dog since the doors first opened to the hotel years and years ago. (It acquired a liquor license in 1915) I was lucky enough to spot the youngest of the two dogs, one year old Molly. She was exhaustingly energetic, as you can tell from this picture.
The views from the out door tables is spectacular, the eating area hovers over a valley and looks down over tree covered hills. There are beautiful flower filled gardens with seats and easy pathways for the more energetic visitor to wander.
If the weather is fine a walk through the rainforest to see the waterfalls is a possibility. With a group of people patiently waiting for me to return to place my lunch order I only had time to take a few paces into the rainforest where I couldn't help but take photographs of the wonderful stag ferns in the trees, these ferns grow in the wild in the National Park on Mt Tamborine and in the trees that are much too tall for people to steal them so these specimens in this private piece of rainforest would have been placed here deliberately. They are absolutely magnificent.
(remember that if you click on the pictures you can enlarge them)
In yet another part of the garden the lawns have been mown so that the area can be used for open air weddings and functions. While I was there a small group of geese had claimed it as their own and honked angrily at me for disturbing them. They waddled off into yet another part of the property but no doubt returned as soon as I had left.
As you can tell, I was very impressed with my visit to St Bernard's Hotel. I took far more pictures which I would be happy to share - but every day I see something new that is worthy of a story so I will limit the number of my photos!
AJ
joanren@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment