Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday as predicted.

The rain thundered down through the night and we were warm and cosy in our little caravan park cabin while a few hardy souls just across the lane-way from us were cowering under canvas after setting up their camper trailers. After showering and taking note of the conditions outside I persuaded Colin to come with me to the Living Desert Park again – but with raincoats and umbrella “just in case”. It was much brighter and it looked as if we might have a window of opportunity to go and see the wildflower garden part of the park.
To get to this area we had to drive past the entrance to the area we had visited yesterday when we went up to the Sculpture Symposium site. This morning there was a “road closed” sign on the entrance. The way in to the flower area is sealed and there are no gates so on we drove.
Fantastic! Not another person in the place so I could enjoy this park as if it were there just for me!
We donned our rain jackets and I slung the camera case over my shoulder so that I would have somewhere to stow the camera if the rain started. I also put on a pair of walking sneakers with heavy tread on the soles. We had barely reached the shelter in which there was a display of pictures when the clouds released their load! Down it came.
I took a photo back to where we had left the car in the sealed car park and when I looked around at the pictures in the shelter, there was a photo taken from almost the same place when the country looked like it did the last time Colin and I saw it back in the 70's – dry.
I took a photo of this picture so that I could show you two things – how the conditions change when rain comes and also how the park was started – with plantings and waterings. You can see the trickle irrigation water lines on the ground.
The rain did ease and although it was still falling lightly we set off up the slope and enjoyed the sight of a landscape that was quite unique.
The sky and weather were not really suitable for photography but still I managed to take a few, this is a colourful one of more Sturt Desert Peas among other native plants.
We returned to the Information Office to take back the key to the Reserve and were reimbursed our $20. I had not realised that the $20 was a bond and was quite surprised to be given money! Stepping outside the rain was falling again and from the shelter of the overhanging roof I took a photo of the wonderful red bottle brush and, across the road, a display of early mining equipment.
You can see how wet it was!
After shopping for parts for the broken brakes on the trailer we returned to our cabin and almost immediately the rain fell in earnest and the wind rose to gale force. It looked as if we were to be trapped indoors for the afternoon.
But that wasn't the case, as soon as the rain stopped I bullied Colin into the vehicle again and we drove up to the top of the “lode” to see the Miner's Memorial up close. I managed to get some interesting shots from the car as we drove up to the restaurant and information office – but getting out of the car and into that building was an adventure in itself! The wind was incredible up on the top of that rise! I nearly lost hold of the car door as I opened it – fortunately didn't! And then struggled against the wind to open the heavy door to the building!
I could not stand upright outside to take any shots of the town that was laid out below us so I took this shot of the rain clouds over Broken Hill from the window of the restaurant. We felt that we deserved a coffee and enjoyed one that was made by someone else for a change! I did enjoy it – and managed to feel a lot warmer as a result – I think the top temperature today is only 17 degrees.

Colin is now fixing the brakes on the trailer and replacing the windscreen wiper blades that must be dried up – the old ones made such a noise! He is quite happy now doing HIS thing!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment