Thursday, October 21, 2010

A true traveller

There are so many things I could tell you about – each day is filled with new experiences and sights and I really should write everything down. But we passed a very special individual today and I am sure that you would be really interested to see pictures and hear a little about him.
Unfortunately my driver did not give me time to hop out and really ask questions – and I would really have liked to – so I do not know this man's name.
I had to beg Colin to slow down and stop when I saw something quite unique on the road ahead. I could see two camels pulling a little trailer. I am sure that Colin just sees the road!
I hastily wound down the window and took my first shot.

I asked the net covered man where he was headed “Here and there” he replied in a strong European accent (at a guess, Yugoslavian) “where ever the road leads us and which ever way my camels take me”.
How long have you been on the road? “ Eight years now.”

Do you sleep in your little van? “ Oh no, I sleep in the open next to my camels, the sky is my roof”
And that was all I had time to ask him before my driver put his foot down and took us on our way. Three photographs and three questions – but an impression of a contented person. He was doing what he wanted and he was happy with his lot.

The man had stopped when we pulled alongside him and was happy to talk to me but when the camels both lurched forward together he started again on his slow walk along the road. They must be female camels, they determine when they leave and how long they stop!

AJ

5 comments:

  1. Neat story and pictures. I am thinking maybe he tried to go to France and didn't get to travel the roads as much as he wanted (?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. France? I think I missed something here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. France and the controversy of paying/kicking gypsies out of their country. It made the news in North America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haѵe reаԁ ѕo many aгtiсles or гeviеws abоut the
    blоggeг lovers еxcеpt this piеcе оf ωrіting is really а fаѕtidious post, κeeρ it up.


    Αlso visit my weblog ... Click Through The Next Web Site

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day! I κnοw thіs іѕ kinda off topic
    however I'd figured I'd asκ. Would уou be inteгested in еxchanging linκs оr maybe gueѕt writing
    a blοg post or νіcе-versa? My websіtе аddresѕes
    a lot of the samе subjects as yours and I believe ωe
    could greatly benefit from each оther. If you hаpреn tο be іnterеsted feel fгee to send me an emaіl.
    І look fогward to hearing from you! Fantastіc blog by the way!


    Ϻy blog pοst; traduccion y doblaje [http://traduccionesprofesionales.mx/traductores]

    ReplyDelete