Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Almost Christmas

With the days racing past and visitors arriving and departing by the minute it is difficult to fit everything into a day! This morning after collecting a car from the railway station and then taking a friend to the airport I was able to start on decorating the Christmas cake.
I first made some fondant (roll out) icing and made a sort of reasonable job of placing it over the cake - I certainly couldn't win prizes for my cake decorating skills!
Then it was into my collection of ornaments for something to put on the top.
Every year I manage to find a different one to add to the collection and when friends go overseas at Christmas I ask them to look out for something a little different for me.
I found a rather sweet "Santa" that was brought back from Europe for me a few years ago and dug out the little reindeer that must be over fifty years old by now! They have trotted over a few cakes! Then a strip of sequins suggested a different way of surrounding the cake.

Pieces of left over fondant icing was rolled into sausages to create the raised lettering.
A week ago I picked up a bag of gold bells thinking they were tree decorations - but they did not have loops for string so were packed away - I found a use for them! Incidentally the piece of paper that stuck to my shirt is a mystery! I didn't know it was there! It was a label on the wrapping of one of the (not used) cake decorations, how it managed to adhere to me I don't know!
The finished cake. See what I mean about not winning prizes for my cake decorating, the icing is not smooth! Ah well, the overall effect is what matters!

Now to give you a recipe. I was asked about the sponge I used in my slice, so for anyone who enjoys food I am going to give you this recipe. I make it with all different kinds of filling. Black cherries (canned) or mixed berries - strain the juice away - are quite delicious. A spread of black-currant jam or similar plus fruit that is not so sweet makes a good combination (such as apple or blueberries). Of course, when Christmas comes around I use fruit mince to which an equal quantity of sultanas cooked in orange juice and drained (one minute in the microwave) have been added.
The slice I illustrated was a double mixture with three eggs to bind it.
Here is the recipe as written in my well worn recipe book

BASE:    1 1/2 cups SR flour, pinch salt,  1/4 lb butter ,  1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg.

Put flour, salt and butter in basin, mix well, add sugar, then add well beaten egg and mix to a soft  paste.
Roll out half the mixture and line a swiss roll tin.
Spread fruit filling. 
Roll out the other half of the mixture and cover the fruit.
Here the book is really vague, it says "Bake in a moderate oven" I use a fan forced oven at 180 degrees for 25 minutes. I also gently press the middle to be sure it is cooked, if it feels firm it is cooked - if not give it a further five minutes.

A few little tips. Roll the sponge out on baking paper and lift the paper into the tin for the first layer then do the same with the second layer but this time inverting the sponge over the fruit - but flip it fairly quickly.
When the top layer has been patted to fit into the corners and all the fruit is covered, I wet my hand and pat the sponge gently then sprinkle granulated sugar (regular table sugar) over the top. The dampness gives the sugar something to grip onto!
When cooked put a sheet of baking paper over the top then a chopping board then turn the baking tray and board over so that the slice is now face down on the paper covered board and the tray can be lifted off. Put a wire rack over the slice and invert it again so it is now the right way up and the paper and chopping board can be removed. this makes sure that the sugar stays on the slice!
It all sounds a bit complicated but I assure you that it isn't!
I hope you try it!
AJ       

No comments:

Post a Comment