Monday, March 26, 2012

Capital works


Well I didn’t think that I would find it too difficult to link to a wireless network – but even with the help of the motel manager I failed to link with the Miranda motel’s free internet – well, they do say that nothing is for free! Usually there is a pop up that asks for the security code – but we couldn’t get this to happen! Grr! Just as well I have the pre-paid Telstra thingy with me!
This morning I managed to find out that parking is almost impossible to find when you are looking for it! I thought I would take a quick look at Parliament House – but I need more than road signs to get me there – I couldn’t find the road that would take me there – I went round and round it! I did not come across a road sign that told me where to get off the road and up to where I wanted to be! Time ran out for me so I gave up and drove over to pick up Colleen and Shirley and the three of us went to take a look at the War Memorial. Finding parking for that was much easier – we had a local with us to give direction!
 Colleen and Shirley talk seriously before going in to see the War Museum.
The Museum is a simple but magnificent building with guided tours running all the time. We really could not afford the time for a tour so we wandered around by ourselves, I took quite a few video shots with the Pani-blog but here are three that I have taken from my Nikon shots.
Here I am looking towards the entrance from near the beautiful tomb of the unknown soldier.
The long pond is decorated with coins that have been tossed in - I wonder if people think that their wish will come true if they throw money into fountains and ponds, you often see coins in decorative water features in public places.
 This last image was taken from the steps in front of the Australian War Memorial and is the view along ANZAC Parade. Parliament House is at the far end of the parade.

This evening after the official opening of the FAMM Convention by the ACT Chief Minister, Katy Gallagher, the attendees to the evening enjoyed a delicious meal and a great deal of camaraderie.  A few competitions with film titles followed - I am not very good with that sort of thing, not being much of a film buff! Fortunately for our table we had a fellow and two ladies who were very clever on this topic so we did quite well!

Since I am not able to get the free internet connection I was expecting I have topped up my pre-paid internet so I have no worries about running out while I am away! The blog will continue!
AJ


1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying reading about your travels. :-) My son is visiting canberra for his school trip this year, he is really looking forward to seeing the Parliment House. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete