Monday, October 19, 2009

More shots from the Multicultural Day

Since today I have been tied to the computer in an attempt to learn a DVD authoring program called Adobe Encore - and slowly getting there! I have decided to brighten my day by sending three more pictures from the multicultural day. There were so many interesting cultures to learn about that I could have spent a lot of time going back and forth to the various displays because the program kept changing at each.
The first picture is of one of the Korean martial arts. Even small children were dressed up in this same fashion and were fighting with bamboo "swords" - trying to hit the opponent on the head. Many times they actually did hit but the headdress that is worn must cushion the blow. No one seemed to be distressed by the beating!
This pretty little girl is all dressed up in the national costume of her parent's homeland. I never managed to speak to the mother to find out where that was.I returned to the Japanese display after the musicians had gathered up their long harps and found a demonstration of the Geisha tea ceremony. It was all very dance-like, slow and deliberate and artistic too.
I find the customs and dress of people from different nations so fascinating and I really cannot get enough of learning about them.
What is interesting is that one of the groups will be putting on their own cultural day at the Southport Library in November so I will definitely be going along to that. I know absolutely nothing about Saudi Arabia so I will be "all ears" as well as full of questions. I hope that I will be allowed to take photographs because I really would like to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment