Saturday, October 24, 2009

Street parade in Surfers Paradise

Super GP is a series of car races and track events from October 23 - 26 and the rev heads have spent their days alongside the track watching the cars speed by. In the evenings there are other activities and I went along on the Friday evening to see a carnivale in the style of the brilliant ones held in Rio de Janiero with girls in skimpy costumes and lavish head dresses gyrate as they parade along the streets.
I had great fun with my camera attempting to get as many shots as I could of the gorgeous girls and the handful of men who were well and truly outnumbered!
There were several themes of costumes and I am showing only two of them.
Two of the males in the parade were dressed up as kangaroos and had springs on their feet to make them bounce along the road, they were hilarious and we all found them to be very entertaining.
I have many more pictures taken on that evening but I shall probably keep them to myself! They are not that brilliant - but fun all the same.
I learned something though and though I would pass it on because it will apply to point and shoot cameras as well as SLRs.
If the camera cannot find something to lock focus on the camera will not fire. With an SLR it is overcome by manually setting the focus.
With a point and shoot camera it is not easy to use manual focus so the solution is to aim the camera at something bright that the camera CAN see and lock the focus, then, while holding down the button turn back to the subject you want to take. With something as fast moving as theses two bouncing kangaroos it is going to be difficult to act fast enough. But that is the reason the camera will not fire in poor light; it cannot focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment