Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Photos in a frame

I have been working on my New Zealand photographs and have come across a few in which I have deliberately framed the pictures using something in the foreground. I thought I would share three of them with you - they might give you ideas for taking your own pictures with a frame - of course one here and there is good but if all my pictures were taken this way they would become very annoying to look at - so remember not to repeat yourself "ad nauseum" (a phrase my mother was fond of using!!!!!) anything done too often loses its appeal.This first image was taken at Akaroa, a little French village on a peninsular not far from Christchurch. I organised my patient husband to stand where I could see him through the canvas on the tripod. f/9 1/80 ISO 200


I did consider giving an oil-paint effect to the picture but he is not centred well enough to let it work!
The second image is also from Akaroa - such a beautiful spot! I have so many photographs taken there! The buildings, the scenery, everything about this place just lends itself to be photographed. So this image was taken of the sea with an obliging tree giving me the frame for it. Usually the overhanging branches create the top frame to a photo but I wanted to try something a little different.
f/11 1/100 ISO 200
My third image was a photo I took from a small building high on a hill above Christchurch, The stone building is a monument to the people who first settled on the Canterbury Plains and is open to the elements. It appears to be a shelter but it has no windows or door, just openings - so I used the round opening to frame a view of the Lyttleton Harbour below.

f/11 1/160 ISO 200

Maybe you feel I should have included the bottom part of the circle too? The reason my framing is the way I have it is because to include the rest of the circle would have compromised the view.
However you can see what I mean about using structures and objects to provide a frame. I hope it inspires you to have a look around for possibilities.
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment