Sunday, July 4, 2010

Trying the 300mm lens

This is so exciting!
we are having visitors at lunch time today so I have been slogging away at housework but coffee time gave me that window for picking up the camera and trying out the BIG lens!
First thing I noticed was that although I have chosen AF-S (autofocus single as against AF-C which is autofocus continuous - for moving subjects) this 300mm lens does not allow manual focus! There is a switch on the smaller 18-55mm lens that allows me to switch from AF to M but not this one. I thought this would be a problem but I went into the menu to set the focus to "spot" and take a look at this photo of the finches on the wire. When I zoom right in you can see how accurate the spot focus is.
First the uncropped photo showing the way the shot has isolated the birds from the trees behind.
f6.3 1/800 sec ISO 200 180 mm
Now severely cropped to show the accuracy of the spot focus.
Isn't that great!
At the end of our driveway is a palm tree that is sporting a colourful hula skirt of fruits at the moment. From my shooting position on the veranda there is a wire that crosses the lens - you can see the vague shadow of it in the top left corner - the tree must be forty metres from where I was standing.
First the uncropped picture showing the brilliant red berries and some green ones.
f/5.3 1/800 ISO 200 190mm
The second picture is a crop from it and you can see a few of the green berries so that you can work out where the crop was taken.
I have done no further sharpening so I am stoked that I will be able to rely on the camera to get the focus right. The color is spot on too. This was one of the main reasons I chose Nikon over the other cameras I have handled, the color and the sharpness of the images.
AJ

1 comment:

  1. Those look like Owl FInches that we can buy at the local pet store. I love them but seeing how we have two cats I don't think that would be a nice environment for the birds.

    That lens looks nice and sharp. Can't wait to see you try it out on your exotic birds that come feeding in your yard. Weird how it does not have a manual focus switch.

    ReplyDelete