Saturday, January 29, 2011

A dangerous hobby

While enjoying wandering around the Australia Day festivities with my Nikon D90 with the 50mm lens attached I also managed to grab a couple of little videos with my next favourite toy - the JVC blog camera. This camera is so small and light that it lives quite happily in my shoulder bag which means that it is always available to be used when something interesting happens.
The formation riding by the flag waving team on their identical brown horses was one of the topics and a few minutes of the bull riding were the other. The audience numbers were good so to be able to see anything at all I was forced to be behind people. Even if I was closer the double fences would have been a problem. After seeing the size of the bulls and the way they pranced and bucked when that rope was around their mid-riff I was quite happy that there was a solid fence between them and me!
I only stood and watched four different rides and two of the tossed riders required medical attention - a third one was unlucky to be underneath when his bull fell over but lucky in that he was not hurt. It landed on his legs. The announcer happily told the audience that it was a miss-ride and the boy would be given a different bull later!
Of the two that were hurt, one was kicked and the other (the last one shown), the bull stomped on his chest. The announcer reported that he was "just winded" so I hope so!
I have learned not to use the zoom on the JVC blogger - it is only a digital zoom so the picture becomes quite degraded.

After watching another of my shaky videos I bet you will vow never to become a bull rider!
To see this video in Youtube without the sides cut off, click on the title at the top of the video.
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment