Friday, March 4, 2011

Up in the hills

I think that New South Wales must have the most roadworks happening in the world! It took an incredible long time to get from Port Macquarie to Blackheath thanks to the low speed limits imposed on works areas! Of course we shall all benefit once those roads are complete but in the mean time . . .  Grumble Grumble!
Anyway, we left all the clouds behind us and once we had booked into our clean and comfortable motel for our three night stay we hopped into the car to check out one of the dozens of look-outs. Since we are here to attend a wedding at Five in the evening at one of the lookouts I wanted to see what the light was like and what settings I was to use to get bright clear photos.
 Good ol' Colin posed for me (one way to keep my collection of family photos going!) and three attempts later I found what I needed to get the main subject in focus and the view visible too. The strong and low sun gave really heavy shadows but thanks to the "Shadows/Highlights" feature in Photoshop applied to Colin only, this is what I have achieved.
f/13 1/60 24mm ISO250
I just roughly selected around Colin and Copied and Pasted then applied the Shadows/Highlights and used Reveal all mask to remove any brightening from around him. There is still shadow on the face but it looks natural - I don't like to remove all shadow. I guess if I was a pro photographer I would have an assistant with a reflector travelling with me! I am not sure how an assistant would stand outside that railing and be out of shot, though, there is a sheer drop from the fence!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment