Sunday, May 29, 2011

Swan out of water

I have just returned from a fun filled day with the two grandchildren - their grandfather is snoring peacefully in front of the TV now, it was an exhausting day for him. We found some exercise machines for joggers and he had to join in because the children couldn't reach the pedals with their tiny four and six year old legs! I couldn't help because I was busy taking video with the Nikon D90! The children love to see themselves and show off their activities to Mum and Dad once we reach home again! (That's my excuse for still having energy left once I reach home!)
At the last of the parks we visited the children spotted a black swan. We all walked towards the lake but when the swan jumped out of the water and started walking towards us the children raced back to the play park! The bird was almost as tall as they were and I warned them that it could be aggressive so to be careful. Of course I couldn't resist taking a couple of shots. When Colin held out his hand as if he had food it was clear that this bird had been fed by picnickers - a foolish thing to do since wild birds learn that people mean hand-outs.
f.8  1/60   ISO 200  55mm
The children only reach up to above Colin's waist, so you can see why I advised the children to stay back! The swan is a big bird and once the wings are out it is massive!
f.8  1/60   ISO 200  40mm
I edged forward and took another shot of the bird, he really is magnificent. It is wonderful that we can get so close to our native wildlife, but it is wise to remember that they are wild creatures and do not eat bread when in their usual foraging, bread is not good for them (nor for kangaroos - but people cannot help themselves! Its wonderful to have a wild creature eat from your hand and bread is usually in the picnic box!)
f.8  1/60   ISO 200  40mm
To take my photo "at eye level" of the bird I had squatted on my heels and the bird thought that was oh so tempting and marched towards me - you aught to have heard the alarmed shrieking from the children back at the playground! "Granny, Granny"!!!! They thought I was going to be attacked! I took my shot and stood up, the bird realised that I was bigger than he and changed direction! As I stood up I notice a small boy not too far from me with a big sandwich in his hands so I told him to run back to his family. He did so and the swan, disappointed in his quest for human food turned around and returned to the lake. The little boy was younger than my two girls so he would have lost his lunch to the swan if I hadn't intervened!
For those of you interested in camera settings, once again I used Aperture priority - so basically used the camera in an automatic mode. The camera determines the shutter speed. It was a very bright day so I had set the ISO to 200. If the day had been dull I would have increased the ISO, this lets in a lot more light so the shutter speed would increase too. When you are hand holding a camera it is almost impossible to get a sharp picture if the shutter speed goes below 1/60 second. If you use Aperture priority always make sure of your shutter speed. Take your photo and check the photo information. If the shutter speed is too low, increase the ISO and try again.
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment