Friday, January 27, 2012

Last Day with Graham and Nola


Today was another indoors day for Graham and me; we were busy making a “This is my life” video, consisting of voice to camera. There is a limit to how much can be covered in one session, no only because of time restraints but also because of concentration. A tired subject means many mistakes and rather more confusion than when fresh.
Graham had put the video we made yesterday onto his computer the evening before and when we played it back we could see that it was not too bad at all – only a little editing needed to be done. Noticing that Graham was wearing a different shirt this morning I sent him to dig out the one he wore yesterday from the laundry basket! We needed to have continuity so that the video gave the impression of being made all at the same time.
Thinking it might make things easier I told Graham what I was going to ask him about so that he could think about what he wanted to say. Mistake! Yesterday when the questions were asked while the camera was running the answers flowed naturally and interestingly, this time Graham was looking into space obviously trying to see the notes he had made and the story was a tad wooden.
Unable to help myself I edited the video for Graham. Some of the stories had been told out of sequence and needed to be slotted together. It was easier for me to move the clips than for me to try and tell Graham how to do it over the phone from home – I am unfamiliar with his editing program. I could do it with the program in front of me but I would have been stuck advising on how to use it, without it! (Premiere Pro 1.5) I made a simple title and when Colin and I were saying our goodbyes the program was rendering the video so that it was ready to be put onto a DVD.
It was with heavy hearts that we waved our goodbyes. We have no idea when we shall have the opportunity to be together again.
Driving back to the motel we were stopped at a rail crossing. First came the flashing lights to stop the traffic and then the boom gate descends. The car in front of me dashed through even though the lights were flashing and was on the other side of the tracks when the gates came down. Once the train was through the boom gate rose but the lights were still flashing.
The SUV in the lane beside me was gunning his motor and would have driven through. He moved but must have noticed that I was still stationary because he looked over and stopped Рand waited until the lights stopped! I guess when you do this run every day and have to stop for trains you get a bit blas̩ about the road rules.

When Colin and I were exploring yesterday afternoon I just had to take a photo of the trams. I have seen trams before but these ones were nothing like the Melbourne trams I remembered from years ago. The Adelaide trams look more like trains.
This particular tram was running down to Glenelg through crowds of pedestrians that kept streaming across the road and traffic that was inching forward a couple of metres at a time. I am not sure who would have been more frustrated!

We pick up my sister and her husband from the airport this evening and if the weather holds we shall have a weekend of exploring and photographing.
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment