Friday, March 1, 2013

The angry sea

Although I am now in the comfort of my own home I have not stopped thinking about the things that were seen on my four days in New South Wales. This evening I am looking at a few of the shots I took while at Evans Head. There is a small trawler fleet tied up in a safe little rectangular port, they create a beautiful picture as they lie quietly in their safe patch of water.
The trawlers mostly leave to work through the night but with the sea as angry as it was on the day of our visit I would imagine that catches would not be worth the danger the boats would be in as they struggled to escape through the rolling water in the mouth of the bar.
A drive up to the look out at the top of the rise gave an even better idea of how dangerous the sea might be to small fishing vessels such as we saw earlier.
The Evans Head Bar has long been a problem to shipping and an excellent reminder of this sobering fact is the huge anchor that resides as an eye catching ornament close to the lookout.
The plaque near the anchor gives the story - I know it is a bit difficult to read but since I don't drive around with soap and scrubbing brush when exploring I was unable to clean it up to make reading easier!
Do remember that by clicking on the picture it will enlarge so reading this plaque will be a lot easier than it was for me at Evans Head! The sign is from foot to knee level - not the easiest height for reading!
AJ




No comments:

Post a Comment