Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Travelling once again

The Adventure has begun! Colin gave us all a scare with his heart problems before and after Christmas and when the doctors seemed satisfied with his condition I resolved for us to have a much enjoyment as we can together - no waiting! Straight away I booked our trip to Cairns and on the Savannahlander (train) for a four day trip into the outback.It seemed to take forever for the day to come when we would start out on this trip but here it is! This is definitely a "bucket list" trip for me. I have set my heart on visiting two of the places on this train journey for many years. Another dream of mine was to go and visit aboriginal rock paintings with an aboriginal guide - and that we shall do from Cooktown after this train journey!
When we boarded the plane it was raining. (When we left home it was dark!) But even the rain could not dampen our spirits! We were on our way!
The flight was a little bumpy but my wrist bands kept me safe! I am the worlds worst flyer and sailor but two little elastic wrist bands with a small rubber dome keep me well and cheerful! Tablets used to leave me feeling unwell for days after the journey.Now there are no after effects!
After the flight the shuttle brought us to our very inexpensive but clean and comfortable accommodation.
What a friendly welcome we received when we arrived! We were made to feel as if we were friends returning for another visit! Behind this main building is a swimming pool and behind that the building Colin and I are in. We have a "deluxe double room" which sounds very grand! It is clean and comfortable - and has free wi-fi. . . .  but we have to share a bathroom with two other units. It is backpacker accommodation, chosen because of its proximity to the rail station.
In the morning our train leaves at 6.30 but we have to be at the station at 6.00am. Rather than mess around with booking taxis that might be late, I chose to find accommodation in walking distance from the station. We had a trial walk this afternoon and it takes us five minutes! All we have to do is wake up early and get ourselves packed up and out of the "Travellers Oasis" by 5.45am! I shall most likely not fall asleep tonight!
Cairns does not have the most beautiful of beaches even though it does have the most beautiful climate and a very attractive town filled with very likable people.
The beach is almost non existent - the tide covers the sand with stinking mud out of which young mangrove plants are struggling to grow. The Esplanade runs along the edge of the mud flats - but when the tide is in the place wold look very different! However all is not lost - the Council has given the people of Cairns the most attractive swimming lagoon I have ever seen - and it is very, very popular.
My picture is taken to show the proximity of the lagoon to the sea side,there are people sitting along the sea wall. the marina is in the background. The lagoon is quite large and deep enough for adults to swim in and the surrounding lawns are kept immaculate and today were covered with families lounging in the glorious sunshine.
Colin and I called in to look at the old stuff in the local museum.
It was fun wandering around and seeing a little of the history of the city. I had to restrain myself from offering to restore their old photographs! They really needed restoring.
Tomorrow is an exciting day, I can hardly contain my excitement! I don't know how Colin can lie on the bed and sleep! (I must have worn him out!)
I hope I can keep you entertained with our travels!
AJ


No comments:

Post a Comment