Sunday, March 14, 2010

Currawong song

I have just uploaded another little video that I made today. A group of Currawongs flew in this morning and set up a choir. I couldn't resist grabbing a camera to make a record of them - I love the sound these large birds can make when they get in the mood!


The Currawong are quite a large bird - double the size of the European crows and magpies I would reckon that from top of the head to the tip of the tail would be 20 inches or 50+ centimetres. They are a meat eater and like nothing better than a mouthful of finch pie. Look at that wicked beak!
Although it is really easy to encourage Currawong to come to be hand fed I do not do this - in fact I chase them away because I prefer to have the nectar and seed eating birds around. I am not encouraging the finches to come in to be fed just so they can be an easy target for Currawong and for Kookaburra.
Most of the time, when a Currawong comes by it has a musical but short call that is repeated. When a group of them fly in it is different. They seem to make an all out effort to sound like a well rehearsed choir! It doesn't happen all that often so when it does I am always enticed to go outside to listen to them. I hope you enjoy the sound that accompanies this short video.
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment