Thursday, February 17, 2011

The big itch

The morning was a little downcast - grey skies and misty rain coming and going, so the light was excellent for taking shots of the lorikeets - this time after they had been gorging themselves on my feeder! Of course I had to avoid getting the sky in any of my shots because it was so white that I would have ended up with silhouettes but this was a good opportunity to set up the tripod and use the 70-300mm lens again.
I had been admiring the bird shots that had been sent to me by a friend and taking note of how he achieved deeper depth of field by increasing his ISO I gave it a go too. The birds were all in the dark side of a creeper covered tree stump so it was fairly dark. The ISO I used was 800 - frowned on by "the experts" because high ISO puts grain into a photo.
Here are a few of my shots of the lorikeets. What you will notice is that they are busy trying to get rid of an itch!
 F/5.6 1/500 ISO800 232mm
 f/6.3  1/320  ISO800 300mm
f/4.2  1/250  ISO800 130mm
F/9  1/400 ISO800  210mm 
I should attach a recording of the sound of the birds to play while this page is being viewed!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment