Tuesday, February 8, 2011

New lens from Ebay seller

I have just received what I consider to be a "gift". I am an Ebay addict! I have to make an effort to stay away from Ebay because I find it so much fun bidding and winning or purchasing something I feel I cannot do without. I have bought all sorts of things, a hose for the swimming pool cleaner unit, bags for the vacuum cleaner, food saver storage bags - and all sorts of electronic and photographic gadgets!
My latest purchase was a last minute decision to bid on a wide angle lens that had only 13 minutes to go before the bidding was closed. I can't remember what limit I set for my bid but I know I was surprised that it was accepted and that I was the "winning bidder" For the princely sum of $27.50 (Aust) I actually became the proud owner of this.
My new lens is .45mm macro/wide angle that screws onto my 18-55mm Nikon lens.
I haven't really tried any close up photography other than play with the wrapping that was around the parcel so I will show what it is capable of another day. But I did try a couple of wide angle shots - the reason I wanted this was so that I could get more people in a shot or take more of a room when the camera was used indoors.
This was my first attempt at indoor wide with this lens. You will see some huge barrel distortion but I will then show you how that can be corrected.

To be honest I was blown away with just how much I was able to get in my shot. There is a black vignette which means that the lens behind (the 18-55mm) is seeing the outer rim of the lens. I shall have to be aware of that and not push the lens that wide.
In Photoshop this barrel distortion is corrected in Filter>Distort>Lens Correction and this is how much I corrected the barrelling.
The filter allows the image to be re-scaled to remove the distorted edges - but that is stretching the picture. I prefer to accept the correction and then crop the image. To be left with this . . .
 If I had taken this same angle of my home with the 18-55mm lens I would only have got half the bookshelf - to this side of the two white backed Encyclopedia in the middle shelf - and all the opening through to the dining room.
So I am going to have some fun with this extension!
AJ

2 comments:

  1. That is pretty neat and the price is awesome. I have contemplated the purchase of a wide angle but for the shots I do I can't justify the high price they want for one. I might have to check out ebay but I am like you and my wife gets a little concerned when boxes come by mail. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I only put a low reserve as my limit. I could have done without this wide angle but that $27 included the postage too!
    AJ

    ReplyDelete