Saturday, July 30, 2011

Another day on an (almost) deserted island

Waking bright and early as usual I watched with dismay as the clouds greyed the sky – but the sun was behind the hill and hadn’t pushed the evening cover off the island yet so by the time we were walking the rather long distance to the breakfast restaurant the sky was blue and not a hint of rain in the puffy white clouds at all.
The meals are really generous but the amount of walking that has to be done means that we will not put on any weight!
What a lavish display of food was laid out for the breakfast buffet! I felt almost ashamed having only one American pancake and maple syrup before being very British and having a slice of toast and marmalade! Colin made up for my lack of breakfast appetite and wolfed down bacon, eggs, mushroom and tomato – and a couple of pancakes too!
After brekky our group meandered over to check out the “helicopter workshop” and made an enthusiastic bunch of people for the young pilot to talk to. I was invited to accompany Joyce on a helicopter flight – she was only able to take the flight if she purchased two tickets and would I like to go with her. Would I……? Amazing! Now I know why I had an itchy palm this morning!
We took forever sitting inside this tiny flying machine before the pilot lifted it skywards – there are so many safety checks that have to be done first. The rest of the gang watching from the sidelines was getting tired of waving!
I fitted the long lens on the camera thinking that we would be a long way up and I would need it – especially since we might see whales from “up there”. However we had barely gone five minutes when I realized that I needed a much wider view that the 50-300mm would allow so hurriedly switched back to the 17-55mm and part way through the flight remembered that I had changed the White Balance the night before – for the dolphins in the dark – and put that back on daylight! Grr! Thank goodness for Photoshop! That will let me put the colours right. Incidentally we didn’t see one whale!
All through the short flight I was juggling between the Nikon D90 and the JVC pocket video cam so I have some terrific pics of this sand island that is Morton Island and hopefully some good video too. I just hope it doesn’t make the viewer air sick!
Once on the ground Joyce, Colin and I purchase a coffee and sat and yarned for a while and were soon joined by five others from our Bombora group so stayed on and purchased a sandwich each for our lunch. It was great to sit and chat and learn more about each other.
After picking up a jacket from our rooms we all boarded a flat bottomed punt like boat that took us a short way to an artificial reef made up of old, rusting ships and barges.
To get into the punt we all had to remove our shoes and socks and roll up trousers and paddle through the ankle deep sea water before stepping onto the ramp at the back. That small adventure set the mood for the rest of the “cruise”! There was a lot of laughter. Once at the wrecks we were all given tubs of pelletised fish food. Sprinkling the pellets onto the surface of the crystal clear water soon brought a myriad of tropical fish racing to eat them.
Our skipper tried to educate us as to what fish was what but I think that most people just enjoyed seeing the frenzy these colourful creatures were creating!
The reef of wrecks creates a sheltered harbour for pleasure craft and there were plenty of beautiful boats to admire of all shapes and sizes – from small yachts and cabin cruisers to massive multi decked ones that were almost the size of liners! (slight exaggeration!)
Once on dry land again I dragged my patient hubby along the sands back to the wrecks – I was determined to get a sunset with them as a backdrop. I am telling you – it was the best decision! I am so pleased with the shots I got.
I could bore the socks off you all with the number I took! (but I wont!) I love to have something of interest between me and the sky. Others take the sky, I know, but I like “something” in addition!
Half an hour after the sun had disappeared there was still colour in the sky so I sat down on the wet sand and put the camera on my gorilla-pod and with a slow shutter speed took another couple of shots.
There was no time to return to the hotel room before the “Aussie Barbecue” evening meal. I did find somewhere to wash off all the sand before I entered the restaurant though! When the food was brought out for us – a special room with a special meal, just for our Bombora group of nine, plus Joyce, the lady who took me on a helicopter trip – I could not resist taking more photos.
The presentation of the food was magnificent. Fruit and vegetables were cut into decorative flower shapes and the actual BBQ food looked so special – and it was.
So, Saturday was another full and special day filled with exciting activities and leaving me with lots of amazing memories to carry with me. Tomorrow couldn’t possibly better today! But I don’t want it to!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment