Friday, May 23, 2014

A Darwin day

This morning I took off on foot to explore a little of the Darwin in easy reach of the hotel. The hotel is not far from the waterfront so my walk was very pleasant. I followed the signs to the WW2 oil tunnels but instead of tunnels I stopped to take pictures of artwork that was on the way to them.
The neglected and damaged artworks were a challenge to capture under the very shady trees but two of them appealed enough for me to make the effort. The first was a semi-circle of concrete on which were placed moulded flowers – some of which were missing.
The other was again a semi-circle of concrete, this time decorated with mosaic tiles in the form of eucalyptus leaves. These I really liked.
At the end of the pathway I came across a fenced enclosure and got quite a surprise when I noticed a sign board and a peep hole in the fence.
Of course I had to approach the peep hole and take a picture of the screen and the deckchairs. How wonderful to have stars on the screen and stars up above!
Of course my eyes were drawn to the water - there are many ships calling in to this city
I found a set of steps up an escarpment and climbed them to discover yet another piece of artwork to commemorate all the travellers who had landed in Darwin from 1870 to more recent times. This plaque tells you “why”.
The shadows from the trees make seeing the whole of the mosaic a little difficult.
This small section of the mosaic shows how interesting it is and how under-rated it appeared to be – the path was blocked so I had to retrace my steps and I was the only person who was inconvenienced! Not another soul was there except for the young man keeping me back from where the huge crane was operating a little further along the path, and he wasn't interested in art!
Now that I have spent a little time sharing my pictures, it is time I went out and took a few more!
The “Tour”starts tomorrow but the rest of the passengers are arriving this afternoon.

AJ

1 comment:

  1. That wall of art work is worth time to scrutinise it. So much effort must have gone into it yet it was in such an out-of- the- way path down the hill. I am glad you found it!
    .

    ReplyDelete