Thursday, May 22, 2014

Sunrise to sunset - From Home to Darwin

How exciting! This is day one of my trip to Darwin and the Kimberleys. A trip that has been a “dream”of mine for such a long time. The cameras (three of them) are primed and ready for action. Colin has been left at home to “keep the home fires burning” - he is not as keen about exploring as I am! However he did ferry us (son Steven and me) to the train station at sunrise.
The one and half hour train trip was quite uneventful, it was quite amusing to see how the travellers were seated so close to each other and yet managed to remain isolated from each other by either studying their smart phones or by staring blankly! Steven and I chatted to each other and stood out from the others because of it!
Once in the airport we checked in and I bought a very welcome cup of coffee. I was so ready for it!
Little Daffy bear posed for a few photographs along the way and was getting a bit weary by the time we sat in the transit lounge waiting for our plane to be called. It is tiring being so popular.
At last we were on our way. It was clear enough to take a shot out of the window as we left Brisbane – but we did not fly over the city so my photo is of the suburbs near the airport.
When we were approaching Darwin over the Gulf of Carpentaria we crossed over a few little islands, I couldn't resist taking another aerial shot because one of the islands was reminiscent of a manta ray, the row of little clouds formed the “tail”.
Once in the airport and the phones turned on I rang Colin to tell him we had arrived and Steven rang Lydia to tell her! At least we have our priorities right even if we both have left our partners at home!
We waited out the front of the airport for a friend (Susie) to collect us and I shot of yet another picture of the totems by the kerb.
I had heard so much about the Mindel Markets and this evening I eventually managed to see them. 
The sound of a didgeridoo player and drummer filled the air and we were drawn to the sound. A large crowd had surrounded them but I still managed to take a little video of them. What a wonderful sound. The “didge”player was using four different didgeridoos at the same time, each had a different tone. On the top of the sand dune behind the players were two little boys silhouetted against the evening sky, dancing to the rhythm. They were fun to watch. They were so unaware of being seen. Of course we had to go onto the beach to watch the sunset. 
It seems that all the tourists in Darwin had gathered on the beach to do just that! They made a wonderful shot too!
To draw my ramblings to a close, here is one of my sunset pictures. It was worth lugging the camera along!
AJ

1 comment:

  1. The markets are so interesting I am glad you got there eventually! And the sunset... so worth the wait. When we sat watching on the sand, everyone was so in awe and it was so calming. Thanks for the photos to remind me.

    ReplyDelete