Monday, November 16, 2009

King parrot once again

We had a pleasant surprise the other day, a king parrot flew onto the rail of the veranda and showed no fear of our proximity at all. Having a collection of seeds for the lorikeets and finches who regularly visit, I decided to tempt our brave visitor with some sunflower seeds.
To begin with I held my had on the rail about a metre away so see if he would come any closer. He didn't. I then edged my hand along the rail until I was actually touching the bird. He didn't attempt to fly away or even lean away from my approaching hand. Once my handful of sunflower seeds was under his beak he started to eat from my hand.
It is more than possible that this bird has been caged for some reason or other and has become very accustomed to being near humans. it is not normal for a king parrot to be this trusting.
Only a few hundred metres from our home is a property where injured birds are rescued and then released once they are whole again. Maybe this bird has been looked after over there. I haven't asked!
After a good feed of seeds our new found friend flew off - we were hoping he would visit again but so far we have neither heard nor seen him. Maybe he is visiting someone else with a seed supply!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment