Sunday, June 5, 2011

Back out with my camera!

I get "withdrawal symptoms" when I have been unable to write into my blogspot! I wake at night wondering what I should write about, I drop the housework and take out the camera and gaze longingly at the different lenses before putting them back and "getting on with things again" and I scour the free papers and the 'net for local event that might be worth "dropping everything" for. Then the weekend comes around - and family takes precedence! (I can't resist the invitation to have the children!). However, today I insisted on taking the Nikon with me when we went out looking at bedroom furniture and once that was out of the way it was MY turn!
I wont tell you about all the day because that would take too long. My blog today includes a few photos taken on the way back home.
Our photography group has three monthly topics, one of the topics for this month is "pink" and I spotted a tall pink building so pulled over into a car park that was almost opposite to take my shot. Once that was done (Its a magnificent building, incidentally!) my attention was taken to my immediate surrounds.
The car was parked right beside the most incredible plant pot I have ever seen. It has peacock eyes on it.
This I would like at home! However it was almost as big as the car so not something I could take!
Colin and I decided (I decided and he agreed) to take a walk into the park beside the car park we had chosen. A friend has shown photos taken inside this park of the most flamboyant of exotic birds - peacocks - so I imagine that these birds have been resident in this park for a while because the fence was the next thing I just HAD to take a picture of!
What a wonderful piece of artwork this fence is! Each panel flows over into the next. I was very restrained and only took the one photograph of this part of the fence - it straddled the footpath entry to the park. We walked though and were amazed at how beautiful the park was and right in the centre of our tourist city of Surfers Paradise and, when the big race is on, is surrounded by roaring V8 cars as they vie for the trophy at our annual car race (Once called "Indy"). The race track (normally busy streets used by everyone) runs all the way around the perimetre of the park and several residences and high-rises. 
While we were walking we heard the sound of music - I love music and it was such a magnet! We came across a brass band all smartly in uniform and under the baton of a conductor, playing very pleasant music of all genres. We gave a hearty round of applause when the first tune finished and that encouraged several other walkers to applaud too so the conductor asked us where we came from and happily launched the band into another rousing number. I struck up a conversation with a fellow who was sitting watching and learned that the Surfers Paradise Brass Band were now going to play every first Sunday in the month in this park. They used to perform in a hall but they never had much of an audience - the acoustics under the trees are perfect for brass and the sound carries quite a long way. I am sure they will be very popular - they are very good.
The drummer looks to be only a teenager. He was excellent.
Colin and I did not find any living peacocks during our time in the park but on the return walk to the car found yet another patch of decorated fence.
As for previous blog entries, if you wish to see the pictures larger, click on them. Hit the return arrow to get back to the blog - if you close the picture by clicking on the X, you close the blog!
I have had my "blog fix" so am feeling better now!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment