Saturday, June 25, 2011

rocks and gems

This afternoon I visited the local Lapidary Club because they were holding a Gem Show. I was really surprised by the number of cars in the carpark and even more amazed at the number of stalls out in the open. The ones that were in the shade of trees were at a real disadvantage because they were unable to show off the colour and shine of their wares - the opals looks like riverstone in the shadows! A couple of enterprising people were prepared with torches and when anyone came near they would direct the light onto the stones that were being looked upon.
Although this photo looks nice and bright - it was only one in the afternoon - the shade of the trees put everything into deep shadow and I have had to employ Photoshop to brighten the picture.
 There were dozens of stalls like the ones that are shown here but there were more people standing behind the stalls than there were people wandering along and looking at the wares. I just wish that I had buckets of money - I loved the fossils! There were some real beauties - but what would I do with them? So it is just as well I am not rich!
Instead I enjoyed taking a couple of photos. Most people did not want me to take any photos but a few people were only too happy for me to take some. I really loved this unusual amethyst. The person trying to sell it told me that often this type of amethyst was cut in a thin slither so that it looked rather like a flower.
As you can see, this stall was out in the sunlight which made taking a photograph of the amethyst so much better.
As well as rocks and gems for sale for jewellery making or as jewellery that has already been manufactured, there was a room set aside for competitions and displays of collections of work.
There are certainly some incredibly talented people around.
Another stone that took my eye and that I was given permission to move into the light to take a photograph was a large bumpy piece of malachite.
The top is gorgeous with its multiple rings however the underside is equally as interesting.
Now isn't that something? I wonder if it were a slab of soft material that was covered with bubbles that shrank down to create this dimpled surface. I guess a geologist would be able to give some explanation!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment