Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Its show time!

The advantage to being a granny means that you can have the children for fun times and give them back when you want some "me" time! So it was this weekend. I was able to take the children to the local country show - of course there are not too many opportunities to take photos when you are keeping your eye on two tiny girls with eyes like saucers! But I managed to take a few shots that I can share here - the photos of the girls having the time of their lives I cannot show, their mother would not like it, but those I can print out big and show them off to all my visitors!
Perhaps we arrived early but the first photo I took shows very few of the crowds that were at the show! The camel rides were very popular and there was always a stream of people waiting for their turn on the ships of the desert.
Of course there are plenty of horses at a country show - not too many cattle, didn't see any sheep and I did not see any big bulls or Clydesdale horses either. But I did see the judging of some very small horses - these tiny horses are not much bigger than my dogs! They really surprised me - I did not know there were horses this size that were so fine boned like the thoroughbreds that are the pride of the horse arenas, I thought that the mini horses were more sturdy - more like the tubby Shetland ponies!
My two charges were the right age to enjoy a puppet show so we timed our wander around the stalls and arenas so that we arrived at "show time". So engrossed and believing in this "make-believe" world were they that they leaped out of their places when a cloud of stage smoke billowed from the bottom of the striped stage indicating a dragon hidden inside! It was fun to hear them try and tell the story they had watched to their mother when they got home! "... and the duck tried to play the piano but a spider was inside and then a dragon came and tried to eat the duck but we shouted and saved him"!
What is a show without rides? Our local show is not as big as the show that is in Brisbane but there are still lots of rides and games and ways to spend your money! Since my girls are not big enough or old enough to go on these rides I had to snatch a photo while on the run! Its just a matter of getting the camera settings ready then pausing, aiming and shooting! It is so much fun having a camera that is so easy to use!
As we walked back to where we were to meet the shuttle bus - we had taken the Show Society's advice and parked at one of the collection points and taken the free shuttle bus to the show, it delivered us right to the entrance and when we returned to the car, dropped us right at our vehicle! as I started to say, walking back to the main gate we passed some highly polished and painted vehicles. This was an excuse for a few more photographs!         
I think this is the first time I have managed to take car photos without getting the back of men of all ages gazing down at the engines (what are they trying to see, I wonder!) I like to see the paintwork and the interior finish and the mag-wheels! I guess that means I am not really a car buff!
The show is over for another year - and this year the weather was absolutely perfect and I am sure that the organizers would have been very happy with the crowds that attended and the money they would have brought in.
There will be another Show on the Gold Coast - this one was organized in one of the smaller suburbs, the next show is for the entire Gold Coast and is much bigger (but not necessarily much better!) I haven't been to the Mudgeeraba Show (this one) in several years so it was fun to do it with my two little granddaughters - you tend to see things in a different light when you have young children with you.
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment