Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sunshine and more sunshine

When the skies are blue and the batteries are charged, I cannot resist going outside and capturing a photo or two. Sorting through the stuff I had pulled out of the garden near the steps at the entrance to my home I found four Daylilies that were tangled among the native "iris" plants so I had to replant those and water them in before I could start snapping! It wont be long before my garden has recovered from my brutality and is filled with leaves once again! I scattered some of the sedum around - it is a ground cover that is very attractive - it doesn't flower. (I think it is called Sedum! That's what I have been calling it!)
Looking around to see the source of a very strange bird call I couldn't help but notice the flower head of the Alexander Palm.
All kinds of birds enjoy eating the fruits of the palm tree. The bees come in first and are almost deafening with their buzzing around the tiny flowers. (slight exaggeration!) Then the small berries are formed, these are a light creamy colour and they must be delicious because honey eaters as well as fruit eaters come and sample them. There is a greenish coloured bird, about the size of a pigeon, that has red eyes and a shortish tail, which is called a Fig Bird and it is very partial to these berries.
But the noise I was following was today coming from the Calliandra - I call it the pom pom tree! The noise was from the Little Wattle Bird.
The Little Wattle Bird is very territorial and very domineering - it will not allow any other bird to come to this tree. I find it quite entertaining watching as the Blue Cheeked Honeyeaters or the Mickey Miners or whatever visiting birds zip in an out of the many thin branches trying to keep out of the way of the squawking Little Wattle Bird. The Wattle bird usually wins the day and the visitors leave empty beaked!
Although this bird is called a Little Wattle Bird, in my opinion is doesn't have a wattle (Droopy skin on the sides of the head - think of turkey) But I have seen other wattle birds that DO have wattles. Perhaps on the Little Wattle Bird the wattles are there but very small!
Both these photos were taken with the 18-55mm lens - I always seem to have the wrong lens on!
AJ




No comments:

Post a Comment