Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Quiet Day on Fraser Island


We didn’t set the alarm this morning but I was still in the shower before six thirty! Rather than take a tour or pay for the use of resort equipment I decided to wander the grounds of where we are staying with the camera, today. Of course my off-sider was with me as I adopted eye-catching positions to take my shots. He is used to people staring at his wife as she ignores every passer by in the search for a good shot!

He also is very patient when I need a person in the shot! I could hardly take a photograph of an empty beach, now could I?
After an hour of plodding through the almost quicksand beach, taking shots of water patterns, tiny flowers and dingo prints on the sand (identical to dog prints!) I realized that Colin was not enjoying this walk so we turned back to more solid ground.
Around the resort are many small water-holes and tiny lakes. The water contains tannin from the leaves that makes the water quite reflective. Since the sun was shining today (a big change from yesterday) I was able to take several different shots of the grasses and shrubs and the water and all of them would make fantastic pictures to hang on a wall! The colours of the plants, the sky and the water were so lovely.
Our walk brought us back to the resort, to the enormous swimming pool. Of course, I couldn’t resist taking a shot of part of the pool area. Everything about the design of Kingfisher Bay Resort seems to be designed especially to look good in a photograph.
Even the stairs, when viewed from pool level, are stunning!
We joined an “eco tour” of the property which was actually a promotional talk of how eco-friendly the resort is. The tour started inside the main building and moved on to the walk ways between the hotel units and out into the bushland surrounding the buildings.
We stopped several times to take photographs – as I said; the entire place is very photogenic.

It was pointed out how the main building is designed to represent sand dunes, one curve behind another- and it was also pointed out that we actually were unable to see all the other buildings and hotel rooms because of the way they were built among the trees and hills.
This might have been a promotional tour but it was very interesting and I learned a lot from it.
I have fallen in love with this island!
AJ


1 comment:

  1. Great to read you enjoyed your time with us. You've taken some lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete