Sunday, June 16, 2013

More from Maria - leaving Britain

Today was our last day of being happy and carefree tourists around London Town as tomorrow we make our way to Dover to then sail onto the Fjords of Norway but you will never guess what happened today?  Yep!  The sun came out and the skies turned blue!  Miracle of Miracles.  John and I had to come back to the hotel to change into something cooler because we had planned to walk to Harrods through Hyde Park and knew that the hike was going to take about 45 minutes.  This morning when we got up was only 9 Celsius.  That is something that I have noticed when watching the weather forecast ... it comes in two parts .. temperatures for the morning and then separate temperatures for the afternoon.

We covered a lot of territory today and one of the loveliest highlights was being able to walk along the side of the river Thames for miles and miles.  We took stacks of photos of the Tower Bridge and also walked under and over London Bridge.  We saw Westminster Abbey, Albert Hall, Cleopatra's Needle, walked down Bond, Oxford and Fleet Streets.  Harrods has to be seen to be believed, it is stunningly beautiful and I have never, ever seen so many luxurious items at the same time and under the one roof.  My better half sort of asked/said you are not intending to be there for two hours are you, and my response was "well I certainly want to do more than sniff the air and turn around to go out again" but basically that's what happened which suited me just fine in the end because my champagne tastes would have ruined anything left of my beer budget.  And with six weeks still to go on this amazing holiday I was glad to get away from such terrible temptations!

Tomorrow London will be doing what London always does so well and that is put on it's pomp, pageantry and ceremony to celebrate the Queen's Birthday.  All week we have been watching the city changing not only with road closures and frustrated drivers, but immense colour being introduced through flags and flowers.  I saw a tree being covered with real and large purple flowers, it was so amazing I took a photograph which I will show you when I get back home.
Just before leaving I want to mention to you that the photograph of me was taken by a perfect stranger, a gorgeous looking guy dressed in an equally gorgeous red jumper who just came up to me and offered to take my picture with the tower bridge in the background (it didn't work out).  Just goes to show you how friendly the locals are and naturally it did wonders for my ego!!
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment