Thursday, June 13, 2013

Maria's travels

One of our "Visions" members left for a very special holiday on Monday and since communication with all her friends is so difficult when travelling abroad I promised to put her travel stories here in my blog. When there is no access to the Internet, Maria will write post cards and letters.
Here is Maria's story so far . . .

Driving  to the airport in the wee small hours.
MONDAY: As you can see we made it to the airport and the next best surprise is that my iPad is working and I was even smart enough to transfer photos from my camera while sitting here in amazement..  Just love all of this technology.
So far I can't remember anything that I've forgotten, John has had his morning coffee and I am wondering what to do with myself for the next 3 hours.  Last night I downloaded a couple of books onto the iPad but I'm feeling too excited to just read... 👯
I also found out how to access emoticons from the iPad keyboard which I must share with you when I get back home.
Well looks like when I'm at airports and hopefully hotels, I will be able to let you know what we have been up to.
The foyer of the Airport Hotel in Singapore
 TUESDAY: It is just wonderful to be off the plane and walking around the airport trying to get in some exercise before going to bed.  It is 31 degrees with a delightful warm breeze.  We are staying at the Airport Crown Plaza and it is gorgeous.  Tomorrow morning we are up at 5.00 am and will be flying to London in a new 380 Airbus. I will try and get a photo of it on the inside.  We are currently having our "happy hour" drinky poos.  Thank you for alerting me to the free wifi at airports, hotels etc. I am learning heaps more about my iPad which is exciting.  We had champagne with our breakfast.  A guy sitting next to John typed on his laptop for the whole duration of the flight .. what was impressive was how his fingers just flew over the keyboard so it became obvious he was keeping up with the flow of his thoughts.  One baby on board that cried on take off and landing .. what an angel as I thought we were in for the long haul. Not sure when I can write again but hopefully soon.  Must go as John has finished his drink.
Maria and John in the 'plane

 WEDNESDAY: John and I tried to leave the airport yesterday without our luggage or going through immigration.  Now that gave us both a BIG BIG fright as it brought to our attention that we are not the sharpest knives in the drawer anymore.  Boo hoo!! We hardly slept last night as we were on tender-hooks worrying about the alarm clocks not going off.  I know, hard to believe.  It's pouring over here but still so lovely and warm. 
Unmistakably "LONDON"

THURSDAY: What can I say about the weather in London?  Grey, wet and very cold and everybody has complained that the sun has only shown itself for about 4 days in the past year, and that happened last week!  The wind is really blustery which has stirred the pollen and yesterday was difficult as everybody was sneezing and holding handkerchiefs to their noses and at the same time trying to protect their eyes from grit that was flying all around.  Apparently there is a lot more pollen in the air than usual due to the abnormal amount of rain that fell during winter.

London is getting ready for the Queen's Birthday which is going to be celebrated this Saturday and of course the Trooping of the Colours is going to be the main event which John and I will miss as we will be driving down to Dover to board the Ryndam for our cruise to see the Fjords of Norway.
 
With this picture of a grey squirrel among the daisies we leave Maria's story for today.
With the technology that we have today, keeping in contact across the miles has become so much easier. Personally I did not expect photographs with Maria's emails - but of course the iPad is a camera as well as an email device and can be used in the same way as a smart phone! I am learning!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment