Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Exaggerating a light display with Photoshop



When I wrote about the fireworks I told you that it was possible to combine two shots to make a more dramatic one. When the background is black and the fireworks are bright - white and coloured - it is easy to combine two shots.
Make sure both images are the same size to start with (makes life so much easier!) The "Select all" on one of the pictures and paste it on top of the other.
In the Layers palette change the blending mode from "Normal" to "Screen" and the black background of the top layer magically disappears and allows the image below to show through. The top image can be resized and moved to create a better balanced picture.
So that this technique can be seen more clearly I will use two images that are quite different from each other - one is of a home that has been decorated with lights for Christmas.

The second shot is of a burst of fireworks.

By copying and pasting the fireworks picture onto the decorated home picture I can make a very special display - one the home owner didn't plan!

"But", you say, "There are more firework bursts in this combination shot than in the original."
Well spotted!
Once I had pasted the fireworks onto the decorated home picture and changed the blending mode to Screen I then copied and pasted this layer and selecting the second layer I clicked Ctr + T to select Free Transform and holding down the Shift key I resized the layer so that the firework bursts were smaller - and, of course, I moved this layer over to the right so that the sky became filled with firework lights.

I hope that you are able to follow how I combined two or more shots to make a realistic new picture.
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment