Monday, August 1, 2011

Another day in the sunshine

Our last day on Morton Island at Tangalooma Resort was a very social day. When our Bombora tour group left the Gold Coast we were all strangers but over the three days we had cemented friendships that on this last day were further reinforced.
After a true "Sunday breakfast" of bacon and eggs I first took the camera out for some exercise and found some cormorants on the beach.
For a while I was able to get close to the birds but a young boy of about twelve years old, encouraged by his father, tried to catch one - which of course made them all fly away!

The sun was by now shining into the big concrete fish tank so I tried my luck at taking fishy shots - I used the circular polarising lens to cut down on the reflections from the nearby glass windows - but since the lion fish refused to come out to be seen I soon lost interest! I would never be any good as a scuba-diver! I fail to get excited at the sight of a fish!

As I said earlier, our Sunday was a very social day, Colin and I meandered back to our group and we all purchased coffees and sat chatting and finding out more and more about each other.
I spotted a group of quad bikes returning from their 25 minute "tour" - they run along the sands and play "follow my leader" up and down the sandy tracks near the beach and do figure of eights on the sand well away from the resort and generally "have fun". The quads could be heard returning so I timed my shot to get a couple of them in the clearings between the trees and get the yacht in my sights too.

Coffee time spilled over into lunch time and we were still seated and yapping! Since it was quite cool inside we all moved out into the sunshine and commandeered a couple of tables.
All too soon we had to collect our tickets for the boat ride back to Brisbane. Our cases had been left outside our rooms during the morning, to be transferred to the boat, so we didn't have to concern ourselves with them.
Outside the tour desk where the rubber waders that could be hired for the dolphin feeding - people who do not have wet-suits and still want to wade into the sea to feed the dolphins can hire them so that they can stay dry. I thought the sight of these waders looked rather comical!

It was time to leave. Our visit had been filled with lots of great memories of activities, food and friendships.
We had started the trip with smiles and we finished the trip with hugs and exchanges of addresses.
 However - I really enjoyed being in my own bed last night!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment