Wednesday, August 10, 2011

India comes to the Gold Coast

I saw a small advert in the free paper that told of Bollywood coming to Mudgeeraba (my home town) and wrote it on my calendar. The days went by and I heard nothing more until one shopping day I spotted a leaflet pinned to a notice board.
So it really was "on". I rang a couple of people to see if they would like to join me but they both had other engagements - Tuesday evenings are usually free for everyone! So Colin and I went on our own. we were not disappointed.
The evening was a travel presentation by "Mudgeeraba Cruise and Travel" from our shopping centre, Mudgeeraba Village, about a rather special trip to India they were organising. The evening began with an AV presentation of the trip that is within the "Golden Triangle" of India's most notable cities.
Following this presentation came the dancers - three very talented Bollyfunk Dancers from Brisbane under the leadership of a vibrant and ever smiling Andrea Lam. I will include a video of the dancing in a second blog.
What a wonderful display of the diversity of dance that comes out of India! We all did so enjoy it.
Then it was the audience's turn! We were encouraged to come out and learn a few moves! The magic of the dance seems to be in the hands and fingers - the pattern of the fingers and positions of the hands is wonderful to see. Although we all tried our best we still did not manage to look so elegant!
When the evening came to a close we were all presented with a bag of goodies.
Expecting to find a travel brochure inside we all peered into the bags and were astonished to find it filled with several glossy books on different regions of India as well as three DVDs. On our arrival to the evening we had been given a thick book containing wonderful images of cultural events and places in India so this bag of interesting material was in addition to that.
Now I must take a look at the video I took of the dancing and then take you to India with music!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment