Tuesday, August 16, 2011

An architecture day


Today was a great day for my camera – sun and a few small clouds made photography a pleasure! To begin with I started at Federation Square with its unusual shapes and angles and a real shortage of people. I understood that this area was teeming with people but I think I was either too early or else it was too early in the week (Tuesday!). Whatever the reason I was able to enjoy myself taking photos without having to wait for people to move out of my way! I did see what looked to be a group of photographers being taken around Federation Square under the wing of a “more experienced’ photographer. The shots he was encouraging his student to take were not the sorts of angles that appealed to me so I actually wonder just how experienced he actually was!
Here is one of my shots of this unusual place.
Across the street from Federation Square is a very well known railway station, Flinders Street Station. I can remember sending a postcard to my parents back in the dim dark ages when I first arrived in Australia that had a photo of Flinders Street Station on it so this was one landmark I just had to take photos of!
I crossed the river and walked along Southgate taking photos as I walked and wondering why I had taken a coat with me that morning. The day had turned out so warm that I was too hot – but it is easier to wear a coat than carry it! I had to take a photo that showed the river – the Yarra River. It is jokingly called the river that runs upside-down! The water is brown but I don’t think it is as dirty as it actually looks! The central business area is in the background.
The is a huge contrast of styles of buildings in Melbourne from ultra modern to very old. Here is one of the modern looking creations.
And this is the City Baths. I think you would agree that these are fairly historic? The power lines and rails are for the trams that run around. This building is on Swanson Street, for those of you who have visited Melbourne.
 Tomorrow I fly back to the Gold Coast where there are no buildings as old as the Flinders Street Station or the Melbourne Baths. I have really enjoyed my short visit here and I hope you have enjoyed seeing a few of the shots I have taken.
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment