Friday, February 26, 2010

Tibouchina days

All of a sudden - maybe because of all the rain - the Tibouchina has burst into flower. Most of the flowering trees and shrubs and garden plants in my garden seem to be pink but this is one tree that has broken the mould. The first shot was taken from my veranda this morning. I was enjoying a morning coffee with Colin, watching the finches as they squabbled over the seed when one little bird flew between us and I followed him with my eyes and it was only then that I realised just how spectacular the tree was! The birds were forgotten (even though one had nearly touched us with its wings) and I went inside to get the camera.
I seem to get things wrong when I first take pictures - it is so good that there is a screen for reviewing the image so that you can re-set the camera and try again and again.
As it was a bit grey first thing I hadn't realised how dark it was and with the dark colour of the leaves and flowers I really needed to "open things up" but since I did not want a shallow depth of field I needed to play with the shutter speed rather than the aperture.
ISO 100 f/8 1/80 sec Focal length 14mm (14 - 45m lens)
The second picture was taken using the same settings and was also taken from the veranda looking across at the tree

ISO 100 f/8 1/80 focal length 45mm (14 - 45mm lens)
Finally I made my way outside to get a little closer before roaming around the garden and realising that I had not done any weeding for three weeks! Oops! What a jungle!

ISO 100 f/5 1/60 focal length 18mm

The flowers are short lived and make a carpet of colour under the tree - and every time I take the car out of the garage I manage to get at least four flowers stuck on the windscreen!
I love colour in my garden.
AJ

1 comment:

  1. Super colours - so vibrant. Fancy not noticing such a spectacular shrub! Good job you photographed it.. Suex

    ReplyDelete