Monday, February 22, 2010

A touch of the Med

ISO100 f8 1/200 40-150mm focal length 123mm

I mentioned yesterday that on Sunday Colin and I explored a new home development - I am not really sure how to describe the concept - but this is an area that has been developed to look -and feel as if one is walking through a place in France or in Italy.
To begin with we explored in the car and drove through the coloured buildings and on to an area that was called "The Islands". From one of the islands I looked across at the buildings we had just driven through and they looked so amazing that I just had to stop the car and use the camera. This was going to be one fantastic day for photography!
The dreadful weather that started the day was evaporating and the sun was forcing its way through the clouds and brightening up the gorgeous colours on these walls.
The top photo was taken from across a lake with the camera and 40-150mm lens so that I could see the mural over the archway. Once I have all my photos converted from RAW I will put them into a web album and share the link.

ISO100 f8 1/200 focal length 14mm

The statue of David is an exact copy of the statue of David by Michelangelo in Florence and stood for many years in a shopping centre called The Raptis Plaza in Surfers Paradise. When that shopping centre was purchase and gutted for a complete refurbishment, David disappeared and I often wondered where he had gone! I feel he looked better before - he stood on a much taller plinth surrounded by water gardens that made him look so much bigger and more admirable, somehow. Now he looks like a white naked man in the middle of a collection of buildings! The fence does nothing for him! Poor David!

ISO100 f8 1/100 focal length 19mm

The collection of Italian and french styled buildings continues and I loved wandering around with the camera. On foot the place is different - it feels more comfortable and I found myself really liking what I saw and even felt there was a Mediterranean atmosphere to the place. Not too many of the shops are open yet, this will be a place I will have to return to again and again to see how it grows and lives - for once there are shops the people will be there and there will be restaurants and fashion shops to draw the people onto the streets.
At the moment there are only a few businesses, the most popular seemed to be the delicatessen that was providing meals - VERY expensive so I guess that the prices will dictate the class of customers to this location.
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment