Thursday, April 1, 2010

From forest to sea

What a variety of activities we have had today. I set out this morning with one aim in mind - that of taking a closer look at the Sikh temple at Woolgoolga, but we did so much more.
I spotted a sign that said simply "Flora Reserve", hand written on a wooden sign. So the car was pointed in that direction and off we went - I am fortunate to have a husband who has no objections to any detour I want to take! Since I am the driver there are never any arguments! The road became narrower and narrower and the bush thicker and thicker but on we drove. It was too beautiful to turn back now! At a fork in the road the bitumen stopped but a small sign pointed to a picnic area to the left.
We took the left fork and only a hundred metres in the forest opened out and we found ourselves in a glorious grassy picnic spot with tables that had shelters over them so with no further ado the flask of hot water and the picnic box was removed from the car and we had our morning "cuppa" in wonderful isolation with the most amazing bird sounds you have ever heard. I did turn on the HD camera but since I haven't loaded it to this laptop yet you will have to wait to hear what we heard!
We walked into the forest with the camera and tossed stones into a small creek to get across but when we came across a wide deep stream we had to turn back. I was not willing to take of my shoes and socks - it was too muddy on the other side to sit down to put them on again.
On the way back to the car I had to flick off a leech from my leg, just above my sock. The another that was on my hand. Once back at the car I told Colin that I was going to take off my shoes to make sure there were no leeches inside. I found two very large ones attached to my socks - they had not bitten me, they were gorging on the wetness that had seeped through my sneakers and into my socks! Colin discovered he had two leeches too! Gosh, every part of you starts to itch after such a discovery! However neither of us lost any blood to the horrible creatures!
From the forest - it is called Sherwood Reserve and is a remnant of lowland rainforest that has never been logged, so is very special - we drove to the coast and found some delightful bays and small hamlets and spoke to one of the residents who told us that the place was idyllic until Easter weekend and the Christmas school holidays, then it was filled with families, fishermen and surfies! Easter starts tomorrow so we have seen it at its quiet time! The place? Arrawarra Headland. Never heard of it? Nor have most people! But is it lovely.
Finally I was able to stop in Woolgoolga and walk over to the Sikh temple and take a couple of shots. Woolgoolga has the largest Indian population of any country town and there are two temples but this one is the most impressive and the newest looking of the two. It has an excellent position in the town too - it is on a hill and can be seen easily from the main Pacific Highway.
Our holiday in Coffs Harbour has come to an end. After cooking our evening meal I shall be packing the cases for a morning departure. We have had a good time exploring all around the district, all our holiday has cost us has been petrol! But I have so many photos that I can now go home and create yet another photo-book of memories!

AJ



No comments:

Post a Comment