Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Creepy crawly

While enjoying a cup of coffee out on the veranda my eyes alighted on a white cross up near the roof. Of course I knew it was a spider's web but that did not stop me from taking a closer look. I could then make out the spider spread across his cross and decided I would try to get a macro shot of it using the Samsung camera.
The Samsung is a very simple automatic camera but like all point and shoot cameras it has many features on it that enhance its photo taking ability. One of these features is the Macro setting. To switch on "Macro" is a very simple action with the Samsung. One of the buttons on the back has to be pressed. Some cameras require you to go into the menu and search through many options to find Macro. However it is well worth checking your camera to see how to turn it on because it works very well indeed.
Once in Macro setting I reached up and tried to take my picture. I had to lean over the railing and reach up above my head while at the same time try to see what was in the screen and half press the shutter release to allow the camera to focus. The spider was a bit suspicious of my actions and zipped around to the other side of the web. I changed my position and he zipped to the other side again. It was quite frustrating!

I had three tries and two of them worked out. The first shot fired before the camera had locked the focus so it was not very sharp. With the spider on the same side of the web as myself it was a lot easier to hold the camera steady and actually see where I had it positioned in the frame!
If you can stomache seeing the spiders larger so you can see the hairs on its legs and the gleam in its beady eyes, just click on the picture. You will then see it larger than in real life!
Once the deed was done I was able to get back to my cup of coffee and let the spider relax again.
Nothing is safe from my cameras!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment