Monday, August 23, 2010

Fishing champions

Where ever there is a boat ramp for fishing enthusiasts the pelicans are never too far away. And so it was when I walked down to the water's edge with not another person in sight.
  f/10  1/125   ISO 100
A wily bird assumed that I would have something tasty to share and came swimming over. Just then a small "tinny" putted around the corner in which were three weary boys who had been out all morning dangling their lines.
f/7.1  1/125  ISO 100
After asking if they had a successful trip and being told "yes" the lad in the straw had reached down in the bottom of the boat and dug out a small fish wrapped in plastic - I guess it was left over bait. "I can get the pelican over for you so that you can get a good shot of it" he offered.

f/9  1/125  ISO 100
The intention was to draw the bird over and then toss the fish to it but I persuaded him to try and get it to take the fish from his outstretched hand. "Goodness, look at that hook on the end of his beak" he yelped! I don't think he had done this before! But he waggled the fish enticingly and closer and closer came Pelly.
f/8  1/125 sec   ISO 100
The bird was as nervous as the lad with the fish! But hunger overcame fear and with a lightning quick snatch the fish was engulfed in the enormous beak. Oh dear! The shutter speed might not have been fast enough! There is a bit of blur on the head and neck but the picture is not as bad as I feared! Both bird and boy were happy. One had a feed the other did not get injured by the hook on the top beak!
After offering my thanks and showing the shot I managed to take I left the three young men to load their fishing boat (small metal fishing boats are always known as "tinnies" by us Aussies) onto a boat trailer and I returned happily to the car.
Looking up I spotted more winged fishermen.

f/5.6  1/125   ISO 100
The mighty pelicans look so amazing in flight. I took four different photos of this group as they passed overhead.
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment