Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sugar sweet

Between the glitz and entertainment on the Gold Coast and the culture and offices of Brisbane are still acres of arable land and some of it is devoted to growing sugar cane.
f/5.3   1/125     ISO100
I noticed that the cane was in different stages of development and some of it was flowering. I had to stop the car and get closer! Fortunately the cane had not been flood irrigated lately so the ground was not too wet and boggy so I was able to walk right up to the plants.
 The sun was shining brightly overhead and being a person who enjoys the midday sun and using it to my advantage I took pleasure in allowing the flower heads to be back lit - they look so beautiful!
f/5.6  1/200   ISO 100
Finding a flower head that was low enough to the ground for me to get a close shot was a challenge. Most of the cane is about ten foot tall! Anyway my wandering brought me to one plant that had leaned over and so allowed me to get the shot I wanted. When backlit it is not possible to make out the structure of the flower so I wanted this shot so I could see more detail.
f.5.6  1/200   ISO 100
The flower reminds me of rice. I shall have to find some rice plants to confirm that! Not easy since no rice is grown in these parts!
I was pleased that the sugar cane was so accessible and that now I have a photo record of it.
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment