Thursday, September 17, 2009

Central Tilba homes and gardens

Today we drove to Tilba - Central Tilba and Tilba Tilba. Central Tilba is an unspoiled little village that is made up of so many old buildings that the entire village has been classified by the National Trust and the village is protected by a National Heritage Listing. Arriving at the village at eight thirty meant that we were there before the coach tours started rolling in and I was able to wander around with my camera and get lots of photos without a soul on the road or too many vehicles parked in front of buildings. In spite of the early hour there were people about and many of the shops owners had already put a few things out on the pavement so there was plenty of interest.
One thing that really made the place look wonderful was the colour of all the shrubs and flowers on narrow nature strips in front of the buildings.
I do wonder how the people who actually own these building manage to keep the weather out of them - one thing that makes the town look so old is the unique rusting tin of the bull nosed verandas and the irregular battered look of the old roofing iron - but how weather proof is that roofing iron? What happens when the rain comes in, are the residents allowed to re-clad the roof? Can the roofs be painted to seal them? They are not painted so I assume this is NOT allowed.
From a tourist brochure I found that there was a garden behind a nursery that is open to the public. This garden is called Foxglove Spires. We drove through Tilba Tilba and found it right on the outskirts of this smaller sister village to Central Tilba.
An hour was spent wandering through the rather unkempt but fragrant and colourful gardens that spread over three acres of land. Apparently the garden was created from grazing farm land in 1984 so when that is taken into consideration one cannot help but be full of admiration for a place that feels as if it was established a hundred years ago! There is a woodland with bluebells and forget-me-nots, arched arbours of espaliered fruit trees and arches draped with glorious blue and white wisteria and lots of old fashioned rose bushes and so much more! I loved it!
I think I must be a frustrated gardener! I enjoy my own garden but it is quite a simple thing when I see something like Foxglove Spires. my garden is a couple of years older and is no where near as full of interest. But I think it would be a much easier garden to care for!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment