Friday, September 25, 2009

Stitching pictures to make a larger scenario

While looking through my collection of photos to find a picture for a particular purpose I came across my photos taken in the South Island of New Zealand. There were four pictures in particular that made me stop and take a closer look and they were photographs of this modest home only a short distance from the rail track on which runs the "Kingston Flyer". (I suggest you do a Google search for the "Kingston Flyer NZ") Only someone who is a photography enthusiast would stop to take several shots of an unusual fence! And! Of course! I am one of those!
Anyway. Looking at the pictures I realised that two of them were taken in such a way that they could be joined. I will show you the two separate pictures:-
As you can see they do not match perfectly so a fair bit of manipulation had to be done. I actually overlapped the left hand image over the right after reducing the size of it. If you look at the largest wheel that makes up the gatepost on the right of the gate in both pictures, it is positioned over a different part of the house - in the left picture it is over the stone chimney and in the right picture it is over part of a window.
I selected the fence (wheels!) and the lawn from the right picture and made another layer from that selection and pulled it to the top of the pile.
A bit of twisting and turning was necessary to line the house up correctly and the mountains behind were way out of line too so that required a bit of license. (sorry, Mother Nature!). So finally I came up with the picture at the top of this story.
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment