Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Dust storm

One of the most unusual days we had last week was on Wednesday 23rd September when the air filled with dust and the view changed from tropical to eirie.I am not a watcher of the news and weather so the atmosphere that day took me completely by surprise. To begin with I assumed that we were smothered with the smoke from bush fires because the sky was orange but there was no smell of smoke.
Colin came to the rescue with an explanation that this was a dust storm that had worked its way up the eastern coastline of Australia from Sydney and was still moving north.
The picture I have included was taken when the sky was at its most colourful and the visibility at its lowest (which wasn't really as bad as dust storms I had experienced in the Mallee). The shot was taken from my back veranda looking north and the edge of the roof would be about half a kilometer away. From the news that night it appeared that the visibility was far worse closer to the coast and in the city of Brisbane.
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment