Sunday, September 27, 2009

Trains for the boys

Today I took my house guests to the industrial area of Labrador - not to look at industry of any kind but to attend an open day for a model railway club.
We climbed the metal stairs to the upper floor of a building and were met with an array of scenery displays and metres and metres of mini railway tracks.Some of the scenery was really well done - like in the first photo I have attached. The trees and the buildings were almost mini replicas of the real thing, but in other areas the scenery was far more amateurish with unnatural looking trees and buildings that were mass produced plastic buildings that would have suited a child's railway set-up.
The men and the boys who were leaning over their personal trains and carriages were all taking their hobby very seriously. I am not sure if the creation of their trains was what really interested them or the playing with them on the miles of track!Some of the trains were very intricate - such as the two I have included here, and some of them were models of much more modern trains with umpteen carriages towed along behind them.
No one seemed to mind me taking photographs - well actually no one seemed to mind if we were there or not! They were all far too busy with their toys!
Graham set up his tripod and video camera and the enthusiasts he approached to do stuff for him were only too happy to oblige. Graham had a ball! Maybe its a "girl thing" but I really found it very difficult to be excited about the trains! Five minutes and I had the shots I wanted and was ready to go home! Give me the real thing any day! I love BIG trains and BIG steam engines!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment